4th entry in the MIM Chain Reaction Series with Rachel Fields from Brick Fields being the next link with 10 new questions from Ira Walker. Miss Rachel has until the following Wednesday to add her responses in the comment box of this post, then she will choose the next artist in the chain with her 10 questions.
Come back to find out Rachel’s answers and who she tags next.
1. How old were you when you started writing songs?
” I remember making up songs as early as 2 or 3. I wrote poetry and plays in my teens. I didn’t start writing songs that I sang in front of people until my early twenties.”
2. Do you remember your first song you wrote?
” The first song I remember that I completed, recorded and performed was a song brought on by heartbreak I wrote on the piano called “whole” when I was about 23.”
3. Is your music cathartic for you?
“Yes absolutely. Who needs confession when you’re a songwriter.”
4. What’s your writing process?
“ It varies. Sometimes I have something to say so I’ll write it down and put music to it later. Sometimes I have a feeling inside so I play music, push the record button and start singing just to see what comes out. Sometimes I dream full compositions.
5. Do you hear a melody line for your lyrics as you write?
“Sometimes I will hear a hooks but not often.’
6. Who or what are your music influences?
” Life experience, the Holy Spirit, every artists I hear is influential but some of my favorites for where I am right now in my life are Mavis Staples, Sister Rosetta Tharp and Ruthie Foster. ”
7. Do you think any of your children will follow you into music?
” Yes. All three of them show interest. Two of my girls are already writing songs and good ones too.”
8. What’s some advice for young people whose dreams are a life in music?
“Keep on keeping on. Be grateful to those and remember those who believe in you along the way”
9. How has the internet impacted your music?
” We’ve gained world wide listeners because of the net and it provides great tools for being an independent artist.”
10. What’s coming in the near future for Brick Fields?
” Our traveling is expanding next year. We have two albums in the works one of which is a gospel album. We’ll be playing more concerts outside our region next year.”
Next up is Robb McCormick with 10 questions from Brick Fields to keep the chain reaction moving.